SS advised in this morning our brickies will start tomorrow Wed (May 17).
As indicated on my previous post, the original schedule was on last Friday (May 11) right after our plumb rough-in done. However, I requested to hold on in searching for a resolution on our color variety bricks. It was supposed to get a resolution on last Friday, however, SS said he was waiting for a commitment till today. I have been unhappily surprised for such 3 days - awaiting as I'm sure a resolution for our color variety problem is not a big "deal" due to its obvious unacceptable mistaken color. Furthermore, our problem is not new at all as other Fowler client has got a resolution for the same problem last Wednesday.
By the way, what I have learn another lesson is if some thing goes wrong, even if wrongful thing is not new and there is an existing resolution for that problem, I should not expect to get a resolution within 48 hours. This time, we lost over 3 days for brick variety color issue.
After making phone calls and SMSs to SS, I have yet been advised what kind of color will be a "standard sample" for our bricks. So, my biggest "job" tomorrow is to make sure darker color as standard color for our bricks.